The Bearish Engulfing pattern is a two-candlestick pattern that consists of an up (white or green) candlestick followed by a large down (black or red) candlestick that surrounds or “engulfs” the smaller up candle.
Basically, the pattern gets its name because the second candle engulfs the first candle.
The Bearish Engulfing candlestick pattern is considered to be a bearish reversal pattern, usually occurring at the top of an uptrend.
To identify the Bearish Engulfing pattern, look for the following criteria:
- There should be a definite uptrend in progress.
- The first candle must be a white (bullish) candlestick.
- The second candlestick must be black (bearish).
- The black candlestick must completely cover the white candle (i” engulf” it). This means that the top of the black candle’s body must be above the top of the white candle’s body, and its bottom must be below the bottom of the white candle’s body.
The opposite pattern of the Bearish Engulfing pattern is the Bullish Engulfing pattern.
This difference is that the Bullish Engulfing pattern occurs in a downtrend followed by a down (black or red) candle that is engulfed by a white candle.
Before the Bearish Engulfing pattern occurs, the price must be in a definite uptrend.
The market gaps up but then selling pressure appears and forces the price to fall so hard, that the candle closes lower than the previous up (white or green) candle.
This second candle signals a shift in sentiment and a trend reversal is likely.
The pattern has greater reliability when the open price of the engulfing candle is well above the close of the first candle, and when the close of the engulfing candle is well below the open of the first candle.
The larger the second candle is compared to the first candle, the stronger the bears have become.
To analyze a specific Bearish Engulfing pattern, observe the following:
- If the preceding uptrend is significant, the pattern will likely be effective.
- The higher the top and the lower the bottom of the engulfing candlestick’s body, the more powerful the pattern is.
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our Newsletter Services for Forex Related updates. You can also find us on Facebook and can subscribe to our YouTube channel. You can also join our Telegram Channel for real-time trading analysis and discussion. Here is our service sitemap. If you have any confusion please leave your comments below.